We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Curious about the US coins?
Maybe you’ve wonder what exactly they’re made out of, or how much they actually weigh?
I’m not going to ask why you’re curious about this info, I’ll just chalk it up to you needing it for some sort of secret mission.
Okay, fine, maybe you’re just a collector. Or maybe you’ve become interested in coins due to the recent coin shortage here in the US?
I’ve gathered information about the weight, size, and composition of the dollar coin, the half dollar, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.
I’ve also thrown in some facts about how the compositions have changed over the years.
|Dollar Coin||$1.00||8.1 g||1.043 in / 26.49 mm||2.00 mm||Manganese-Brass|
|Half Dollar||$0.50||11.340 g||1.205 in / 30.61 mm||2.15 mm||Cupro-Nickel|
|Quarter||$0.25||5.670 g||0.955 in / 24.26 mm||1.75 mm||Cupro-Nickel|
|Dime||$0.10||2.268 g||0.705 in / 17.91 mm||1.35 mm||Cupro-Nickel|
|Nickel||$0.05||5.0 g||0.835 in / 21.21 mm||1.95 mm||Cupro-Nickel|
|Penny||$0.01||2.5 g||0.750 in / 19.05 mm||1.52 mm||Copper Plated Zinc|
Dollar Coin Size and Composition
How much does a dollar coin weigh?
The dollar coin weighs 8.1 grams.
What’s the diameter of a dollar coin?
The diameter (width) of the dollar coin is 1.043 inches or 26.49 mm.
How thick is a dollar coin?
The dollar coin is 2.00 mm thick.
What are dollar coins made of?
Dollar coins are made of manganese-brass.
Other Dollar Coin Facts
- Dollar coins are considered collectible coins (but they can still be used as legal tender.
- The current dollar coins in circulation are the Native American Coin, the Sacagawea Golden Dollar, and coins from the Presidential $1 Coin program or from the American Innovation program.
Half Dollar Size and Composition
How much does a half dollar weigh?
A half dollar coin weighs 11.340 grams.
What’s the diameter of a half dollar?
The diameter (width) of a half dollar coin is 1.205 inches or 30.61 mm.
How thick is a half dollar?
A half dollar coin is 2.15 mm thick.
What are half dollars made of?
Half dollars are made of cupro-nickel.
Other Half-Dollar Facts
- Regular half dollars have a bust of President Kennedy on one side.
- Previous half dollars had various images like the Liberty Bell, an image of Independence Hall, and Benjamin Franklin
Quarter Size and Composition
How much does a quarter weigh?
A quarters weighs 5.670 grams.
What’s the diameter of a quarter?
The diameter (width) of a quarter is 0.955 inches or 24.26 mm.
How thick is a quarter?
A quarter is 1.75 mm.
What are quarters made of?
Quarters are made of cupro-nickel.
Other Quarter Facts
- Quarters are minted in Denver and in Philadelphia.
Dime Size and Composition
How much does a dime weigh?
A dime weighs 2.268 grams.
What’s the diameter of a dime?
The diameter (width) of a dime is 0.705 inches or 17.91 mm.
How thick is a dime?
A dime is 1.35 mm thick.
What are dimes made of?
Dimes are made of cupro-nickel.
Other Dime Facts
- Dimes have reeded edges.
- The production of dimes was first authorized in the Coinage Act of 1792.
Nickel Size and Composition
How much does a nickel weigh?
A nickel weighs 5 grams.
What’s the diameter of a nickel?
The diameter (width) of a nickel is 0.835 inches or 21.21 mm.
How thick is a nickel?
A nickel is 1.95 mm thick.
What are nickels made of?
Nickels are made of cupro-nickel.
Other Nickel Facts
- Past nickels have been made of silver and copper.
- Nickels are made in Denver and in Philadelphia.
- The production of the nickel was authorized in the Coinage Act of 1792.
Penny Size and Composition
How much does a weigh?
A penny (one cent coin) weighs 2.5 grams.
Penny Weight Timeline
The composition of the penny has changed over the last 200+ years, because of these composition changes, the weight of the penny has varied widely! Here’s a timeline of the different weights of the beloved penny:
- The first pennies that were produced in 1793 weighed 13.48 grams
- Pennies produced between 1795 – 1857 weighed 10.89 grams
- Pennies produced between 1856 – 1864 weighed 4.67 grams
- Pennies produced between 1864 – 1942 weighed 3.11 grams
- Pennies produced in 1943 weighed 2.72 grams
- Pennies produced between 1944 – 1981 weighed 3.11 grams
(information from Coin Trackers)
What’s the diameter of a penny?
The diameter (width) of a penny is 0.750 inches or 19.05 mm.
How thick is a penny?
A penny is 1.52 mm thick.
What are pennies made of?
Pennies are currently made of copper plated zinc.
In the past, pennies have been made of 100% copper and bronze.
Other Penny Facts
- Current pennies are minted in Denver and Philadelphia.
- Lincoln was introduced on the penny in 1909 in honor of his 100th birthday.
There are a few special coins that are currently in circulation / being produced.
America the Beautiful Quarters
Since 2010, the US Mint started producing quarters that featured designs that showed America’s national parks and other national sites.
If you’d like information on the individual coins in this program, you can find the page here.
Frequently Asked Questions and Trivia
The thickest US coin at 2.15 mm is the half dollar!